When using the QuickBooks Desktop Conversion Tool to convert accounting data from Peachtree or Office Accounting to QuickBooks the following error occurs:
ERROR: External component has thrown an exception
This error will occur for one of the following reasons:
Conversion Tool destination location set to a network drive:
User Account Control (UAC) is turned off (Windows 7 and Windows Vista):
Click here for instructions to turn UAC on.
Multiple versions of QuickBooks installed:
1. Open the QuickBooks application
2. Go to the File menu and choose Open Restore company file.
3. In the Open File window, navigate to:
4. Select the shellx.qbw file for the version of QuickBooks you are converting too. (ie shell2008.qbw is for the QuickBooks Pro/Premier 2008 versions and shell)
5. Once the shellx.qbw file finishes opening, close out of QuickBooks.
6. Run the QuickBooks Desktop Conversion Tool again.
If these steps do not resolve the issue, uninstall all versions of QuickBooks except the version you are converting into.
Note: If the above steps do not resolve the issue, please contact the QuickStart Data Conversion team by calling 800.816.9304 between 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 pm Pacific Time, Monday-Friday.