A swiped credit card transaction will charge the lowest discount rate offered for those card types.*
The MagTek USB card reader will only work with the following applications:
IMPORTANT: Only the applications listed above are compatible for use with the MagTek USB card reader. Only card readers purchased directly from Intuit are fully supported!
† When used with QuickBooks Online, support for the MagTek card reader is provided by the QuickBooks Online support team at 800-286-6800.
*Certain card types (e.g. government, corporate, rewards, etc...) do not offer a lower swipe rate due to other benefits offered to the cardholder.
This is a human interface device similar to a keyboard or mouse in the manner it integrates with the computer so it does not require any drivers to install. Just plug-n-play much like a USB keyboard or mouse.
NOTE: For QuickBooks proper function the card reader must be installed on the computer with the software installed (no network or VPN connections to the software are supported). The device must be plugged indirectly to this computer without the use of a USB hub or extension.
If you are having problems with the card reader see the article - MagTek USB card reader not working.
1. Plug in the device to the computer that will be processing credit cards through a an Intuit QuickBooks payments account.
NOTE: The USB card reader must be plugged directly in to the computer that will be submitting transactions to Intuit. USB hubs and/or remote (VPN, terminal server, etc.) connections to the payments account application are not supported.
2. Open or log in to the application that will be processing credit cards.
3. When at the payment screen you should see a Swipe Card button. Click this button and a prompt will inform you when to swipe the card.
NOTE: Quickbooks for Mac does not have the Swipe Card button. Once a payment type is selected make sure the process credit card checkbox is checked off. Then swipe the card.
4. Swipe the card when prompted and the information will populate in the payment fields.
5. Enter the payment amount and any additional information and submit the transaction for processing to complete the process.