For merchant accounts linked to a QuickBooks company file.
A refund may need to be submitted from within QuickBooks software so that the information integrates with other related data.
Credits or refunds are applied to the cardholder's credit card after the batch closes however there may be some additional time before the cardholder see the credit due to the card issuing bank procedures.
Voids are applied instantly and do not charge the card however an Authorization Hold may occur due to the card issuing banks procedures. the cardholder will need to contact their bank to remove an Authorization hold of this occurs.
NOTE: Credit Card Refunds are subject to the following limitations:
Perform a Refund (after the batch closes)
1. Log in to the QuickBooks application.
2. From the QuickBooks home screen click on the Refunds & Credits icon.
3. The customer Credit Memo window appears. Complete the appropriate information for the customer name and the amount to be refunded.
4, Click Save & Close (or Save & New if there are more credits to submit).
5. This brings up the Available Credit pop-up box. Select Give A refund to apply the credit to a credit card.
6. The Issue a Refund pop-up window appears. Select the credit card type to be refunded (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex) and enter the card information.
NOTE: Be sure the Process credit card refund when saving box is checked.
7. Click the OK button to complete the refund for processing.
NOTE: If any adjustments or corrections are needed to the accounting information in QuickBooks, the QuickBooks Support Team will need to be contacted at 800-320-7276.
Void a payment (before the batch closes)
Open the customer's payment in the Receive Payments or the Enter Sales Receipts window.
How do I find the transaction?
Click the Reports tab, then click the Processed Payment Receipt button.
Click the Void button.
Void a Credit Memo -or- Void a Refund (can only be performed before the batch closes)
Open the customer's credit card refund in the Customer Center.
In the Credit Card Refund window, click the down arrow next to the History button, and select Processed Refund Receipt.
In the Processed Refund Receipt window, click the Void button.
While the merchant is signed into QuickBooks Online:
1. Select the (+) sign at the top of the screen.
2. Under the Customers section in the drop down, press Refund Receipt.
Note: Between a Refund Receipt and a Credit Memo, the only way to process an actual refund is through a refund receipt. Credit Memos are only for when a cash or check refund has already been given and you just need to document it.
3. Then select a customer.
4. Enter the payment method that you are refunding to and fill out the rest of the Refund Receipt. Just like with the Merchant Service Center, you can only process a refund back to the same credit card that the original payment was taken on.
5. When that is done, select Save and New or Save and Close that the refund will process.
While signed into QuickBooks Online:
1. Select Transactions from the options on the left-hand side and then select the Sales option.
2. A list of transactions will appear starting with the most recent. Select the transaction you wish to Delete or Void.
3. When the transaction appears, click the More button at the bottom.
5. Select whether to Void or Delete the transaction.
6. A pop- up will appear to confirm the action. Click Yes to complete the process.